Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Math and Physics not a waste

So this morning Emma and I were playing with her slinky. She was holding one end and me the other. We started shaking it and laughing, and I told her "Look, its a sin wave." And she said, "No, mommy, its a slinky." Ah yes. I was just impressed that I remembered what a sin wave was. All of those math and physics classes weren't a waste after all. :)
The scientific/school oriented part of my brain still works sometimes. The other day someone was asking what the name of the fluid is that surrounds your brain and I remembered that, too...I said Cerebral Spinal Fluid. I hope that is right.
I am sooooo very grateful that I worked super hard in high school and at BYU because an education is an invaluable thing! I will always be a life long learner, but I am grateful that right now I get to learn about motherhood and teaching my children principles and preparing them for formal education. I am so proud of Emma because her favorite song right now is the ABC song. On the days we don't have joy school we try to do a page or two out of the pre-k workbook. I love seeing her learn and work hard. She can sometimes be a little perfectionist...I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.
For the last 6 months or so my happiness has significantly increased...yes, we are down to 1 car, yes we owe the hospital some $, yes we are still renting...but as a family we are SO HAPPY. Stuff doesn't bring happiness. What does bring happiness is having faith in the Savior and Heavenly Father and accepting their plans for your life. My life has turned out significantly differently than how I had it planned out at 18 years old...its so much better! I have accepted my role as a stay at home mother. Honestly there is no other place in the world I would rather be...nor should be. My daughters are my world right now. Raising them in righteousess and helping them gain self-confidence and a strong and abiding testimony is what MY role is right now. Am I perfect at it?...of course not, but that is my goal. I am so grateful that I get to be home with my cuties everyday.
Perhaps someday I will be able to accomplish my formal education goals...a masters in Public Health, etc., but until then I am going to try to enjoy every minute of this special time while my girls are young. I am reminded of Elder Wirthlins quote...something like "Come what may and love it." Everyone has a different mission here on earth to accomplish and I feel that I have found one of mine. I hope to live my life in tune with the spirit so that I may continue my education here on earth whether its with crayons and fingerpaints at home or lectures and labs in the classroom.

2 comments:

We are the Turner's! said...

You are an awesome, amazing incredible mom and friend! I loved reading your post! It truly inspired and uplifted me! I am so happy for you all, and happy that you are SO HAPPY! You are a wonderful person touching so many people's lives. I was thinking today about how it has been almost 7 months since we've seen each other! I miss you and miss seeing our girls play together! Thank you for your super example!

cathi6 said...

That's awesome Katie, I love that whole post. I look at your blog now and then, and your family is so beautiful! Congrats! You are doing a great job!!!
Cathi (Rachael's sister)